College Classroom
| |

Education and the GI Bill

Everyone knows about the GI Bill. In short, Veterans who served in the military after September 10, 2001 have the choice of using the Montgomery GI Bill or moving their benefits over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Although there are some differences in the two programs, they both help pay for education. The VA GI Bill page has information on both program to help you decide which one will give you better benefits.

North West Arkansas Education

Veteran in Northwest Arkansas have several opportunities. For example, the University of Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas Community College are in the Fayetteville and Bentonville areas. Likewise, John Brown University Siloam Springs, putting all three in the NW corner of the state.  All three schools have Veteran centers. As a result, Veterans can get the help they need with the GI Bill.

Other Programs

Are you not ready to go back into a regular class, but looking for an different route to training?  The VA has the GI Bill.  However, there are a lot of other choices through VA education also. Here we look at just a few of these choices.

Veterans Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC)

This program gives training in computer programming, data processing, and other technology. Firstly, to be eligible for the program, you cannot be on Active Duty. Also, you must qualify for VA Education assistance under the GI Bill AND have at least one day of GI Bill entitlement left. The training will not count against your GI Bill. However, you do have to have at least one day of entitlement remaining to take part in the program. 

Note: There are currently no more funds for new people, but they are accepting applications expecting funds in October 2021.

You can find more information here.

Entrepreneurship Training

The VA offers training through the Small Business Administration. Therefore, if you want to start your own business, you may be able to use your GI Bill benefits.  This benefit is open to Veterans who qualify for the Post GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, or the Veteran’s Education Assistance Program (for Veterans who joined the Service between 1977 and 1985).  The following link contains more information:

Flight Training

The GI Bill will not pay for a pilot’s license. On the other hand, if you qualify for the Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill AND have a private pilot license, you may be eligible for other flight training.  These include rotary wing, B747-400, dual engine, and flight engineer.

The benefits you can get for will depend on the VA program you are using. For instance, the Montgomery GI Bill can reimburse you for 60% of the approved fees from your flight school

If using the Post-9/11 GI Bill, it will depend on your level of eligibility, the program or school you enroll in, and how much time and funds you have left for school.

More information may be found here:

Non-college Degree Programs

There has been an increased need for people who are trained in trades. For example, the US Bureau of Labor Stastics says the need for qualified HVAC technicians will grow 21% through 2022. Therefore, many trade schools take the GI Bill. The following page has more information on trade programs.

The Importance of Education and Training

Education and training are very important. A lot of military training will translate into job skills, but many employers still want to see that diploma. With the choices available for Veterans, the extra time spent in training will pay off with the more benefits.  The following is a list which may be helpful for Veterans and Service Members leaving service.

VA List – List of Education resources from the VA to assist Service members and Veterans in their educational pursuits.

State Approving Agencies – These are the State Agencies which work as advocates for the education and training programs for Veterans.

State Veteran Benefits – Each state has certain benefits available to Veterans. This VA page has a link to each state’s Veterans Affairs department with information on what benefits each state has.

DOD Voluntary Education Program – The program by the Department of Defense provides off-duty education opportunities to U.S. Military Personnel.

Troops to Teachers – A program by DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Support) to help current Service Members and Veterans who want to move into a teaching career.

Discharge Upgrade Information – This VA page shows how Veterans from each Service with an OTH (Other Than Honorable) discharge can go about asking for an upgrade to their discharge.

US Department of Education – This page lists different types of student aid and allows the users to find student aid which fits their circumstances.

As always, if you have any questions feel free to let us know. God Bless.

from NWAVet

Similar Posts

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *