Let’s face it. Even though people take a lot of vacations during the summer, nothing beats the Fall. The temperature starts to come down, the leaves begin to turn, and it is just more comfortable to be out doing things.
That is why we are featuring some good ideas for fall vacations, or even just day or weekend getaways, with Veteran discounts highlighted.
Everyone loves theme parks. However, walking around a theme park in the heat of summer is not the most fun. If you’ve never been to a theme park in the fall, you don’t know what you’re missing. Walking around is so much more enjoyable, and in general the crowds will be thinned out because it is off peak season.
- Disney – Everyone’s favorite mouse welcomes visitors year round. Disney world during the fall is a wonderful idea.
- Six Flags – Six flags offers discount tickets through verification on ID.me. Along with other theme parks, the fall events for six flags include Halloween and Octoberfest.
- Universal Orlando Resort – Universal offers several different packages and options at special Military and Veteran prices.
- Universal Hollywood – The Universal park in California also has several options specially priced for Military and Veterans.
- Silver Dollar City – Located in the heart of the Ozarks, Silver Dollar City offers not only a fun family theme park for the fall and the holidays, it also will expose you to some of the most beautiful fall colors you have ever seen. If you’ve never been to the Ozarks when the leaves are turning, you owe it to yourself to visit.
- Vet Tix – We have to mention Vet Tix. As football season is upon us and the weather is much more pleasant to get outside, the website Vet Tix has tickets constantly to give away to veterans and military.
Relaxing Getaway Ideas
As the weather cools it’s a good time to get outside and take walks or go hiking. National parks make wonderful destinations, and with the Interagency Military Pass program Veterans receive free entrance to national parks and other federal recreation areas. Even though the entrance fee waiver doesn’t cover expanded amenities or user fees for things like camping, it is a money saver depending on the National Park you want to visit.
The National Agencies participating in the free access program include the:
- National Park Service
- Bureau of Land Management
- Bureau of Reclamation
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- US Forest Service
- US Army Corps of Engineers
Veterans can visit the website of each agency for lists of recreation areas.
National parks are not the only place to relax. All states have State Parks. In general the entrance fee is minimal, and these parks tend to be quieter with less traffic. Here in Northwest Arkansas there are several state parks which many miles of hiking trails to relax and enjoy nature.
I can’t find a Veteran Discount
If you are looking at an attraction and they do not have military and veteran rates posted, call and ask. Many attractions have them, but they are not posted on the website. Sometimes all it takes is calling the attraction and asking if they have a Veterans Discount to get a better price on the particular event you want to visit.
Whatever you decide to do, fall is a wonderful season to get out and enjoy relaxing down time, even if just for a weekend. If you have a favorite fall activity, feel free to leave it in the comment section below for others to gain some inspiration.