Veteran State Benefits for Arkansas
Most states have benefits for Veterans in addition to the Federal VA benefits that Veterans are eligible for. The benefits will differ according to which state the Veteran lives in.
Arkansas State Benefits
- Arkansas is one of 26 states that does NOT charge state income tax on military retirement pay. The Arkansas state income tax exemption for military retirement pay took effect 1 January 2018.
- The following Veterans are exempt from Homestead and Personal Property Tax.
- Veteran who have lost one or more limbs
- Veterans who are blind in one eye or both eyes
- Veterans who are service connected with 100% Permanent and Total disability by the VA
- Surviving spouses unless they remarry
- Note that annual re-certification is required through a VA benefit summary letter
- Half-price camping in Arkansas State Parks for Veterans who are service connected with 100% Permanent and Total disability by the VA. Proof of status is required and can consist of the benefits summary letter from the VA or an Arkansas license plate with the letters DV.
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
The Resident Military Retiree Lifetime License for fishing, hunting, or combination is available to Military Retirees who are 60 years old or older.
The Resident Disabled Military Veteran Lifetime License for fishing, hunting, or combination is available to Veterans who are service connected with 100% Permanent and Total disability by the VA for a very small nominal fee. The combination license is available to disabled Veterans who are service connected for 70% for a slightly higher fee, or for those who are service connected for 50% with a Purple Heart.
The Military Dependents Scholarship is available for undergraduate students in Arkansas who qualify as a spouse or dependent child of a Veteran who is MIA or was KIA or POW, or a Veteran who is service connected with 100% Permanent and Total disability by the VA.
The MDS will cover the unpaid portion of the cost (if any) of tuition and mandatory fees along with room and meal plan when provided on-campus, after three months of Chapter 35 benefits are deducted from the total cost.
In addition, the Arkansas Department of Motor Vehicles offers specialized license plates for Veterans with proper certification letters. Talk to your local DMV for more information.
For those not from Arkansas, check with your local State Veteran Affairs office to see what your state benefits are.
And as always, you can email us at email@example.com with any questions or comments.